Our physical bodies are not just made up of bones and muscles; they also contain an intricate energy system known as the subtle body which contains the chakras.
These energy centers play a vital role in our overall well-being, influencing our physical, emotional, and spiritual health. One of the most fascinating and powerful of all is the sixth chakra situated in the center of the forehead, the third eye chakra.
Why Is The Third Eye Chakras Energy Important?
The name for the third eye chakra in Sanskrit is Ajna which translates to “command” or “perception.” It is the sixth of the seven primary chakras and is located in the middle of the forehead between the two physical eyes.
These chakras are often referred to as the upper triangle and are one of three zones in the chakra system. The other two zones are the bridge and the lower triangle. The heart chakra is the bridge because of it function as gatekeeper between our physical and spiritual energies.
It acts as a gateway between the physical world and the spiritual realm. It allows us to explore our true selves and the mysteries of the universe. It guides us towards self-discovery, enlightenment, and heightens our intuition and imagination.
The third eye allows us to realize our interconnectedness, see the bigger picture and embark on a journey of exploration and discovery. It is a sacred portal that invites us to embrace the unknown and be able to receive truth, seek wisdom, and experience spiritual awakening.
Third-Eye Chakra Location and Meaning
Unlike our physical eyes that saw the past, and see the present, this inner eye sees the future. The third eye chakra is linked to intuition, psychic abilities, higher consciousness and is home to our sixth sense. When open and balanced, it allows us to develop strong intuition, tap into universal wisdom and connect with our higher selves.
Ajna The Third Eye Color and Chakra Symbol
The third eye chakra is associated with the color indigo, which symbolizes spiritual knowledge, perception and inner guidance. In the world of yoga, the sixth chakra plays a fundamental role in the attainment of intuition and wisdom.
The element of the Third Eye is light and is believed to be responsible for how we perceive the world. When the chakra is in balance it is said to enhance our spiritual awareness and deepen our connection to the divine.
Healing practices utilize the color Indigo to help balance the third eye chakra energy and use the color as a reference during visualizations and meditation. Because it is associated with light immersing oneself in a light-filled environment or gazing at an indigo object or candle at eye level for as long as is comfortable is said to help open and activate Ajna.
The third eye is represented by a lotus flower with two petals. The lotus symbolizes purity and enlightenment, while the two petals represent the nadi (energy channels) Ida and Pingala. These nadi run along the chakras and meet at the 3rd eye, following which the combined energy travels on to the crown chakra.
In imagery the chakra is also seen with the petals bearing a Sanskrit symbol. One is ‘ham’ and the other ‘ksham’ and represent Shiva and Shakti, or the dual nature of the physical and spiritual worlds. These symbols encourage us to find harmony and balance between both realms if we are to achieve enlightenment.
The downward facing triangle represents the convergence of Shiva and Shakti and the union of energy. When they join the sound produced is the sound of the Universe, known as Om or Aum.
Within Hinduism, Om holds immense significance as a spiritual symbol, being the highest essence of the soul, consciousness, and the ultimate reality.
Om transcends the boundaries of time, knowledge, and the ordinary conscious state, resonating as the quintessential sound that encompasses all other sounds.
The circle or the pericarp symbolizes the perpetual cycle of existence – the beginning, end, and renewal of life.
Signs of Balanced Ajna Energy
When your third eye chakra is activated and balanced, you experience a range of positive signs and signals. You’ll feel more connected, have a heightened sense of awareness, and experience a deeper understanding of the world around you.
Individuals with balanced energy in this chakra tend to have a strong sixth sense and can trust their inner guidance. You have a clear vision of your life’s purpose and can make decisions confidently.
You will possess a deep sense of self-awareness and will understand the needs and desires of others. You have the ability to look beyond the surface and tap into the deeper truths and meanings in life.
When balanced Ajna chakra energy provides us with enhanced cognitive abilities and enhanced mental clarity. You are able to think critically and analytically, and make connections between different ideas effortlessly.
You also have a more balanced approach to life, being able to see both the bigger picture and the smaller details.
You may also notice an increase in your psychic abilities, such as clairvoyance and telepathy. Your dreams may become more vivid and meaningful, and you may have a stronger connection to the spiritual realm. You’ll feel more in tune with your own emotions and those of others, and you’ll be able to communicate more effectively.
Symptoms and Signs of Imbalance or that your third eye chakra is blocked.
When blocked or imbalanced, you may struggle with decision-making, lack clarity, and have feelings of being disconnected from your higher self. You may experience difficulties trusting your inner guidance and may feel stuck or lost on your spiritual path.
1. Lack of Intuition: You might feel disconnected from insight, intuition and struggle to make decisions.
2. Headaches: Frequent headaches or migraines, especially in the forehead area, can be a sign of imbalance.
3. Insomnia: Difficulty falling asleep, or staying asleep, can indicate that your third eye chakra is blocked.
4. Anxiety and Depression: Imbalance can lead to feelings of anxiety, depression, and other mood disorders.
5. Vision Problems: Blurry vision or difficulty focusing on objects can be a physical manifestation of blockage.
6. Lack of Imagination and Creativity: If you find it difficult to tap into your imagination or creativity, it could be a sign you need to balance Ajna.
7. Disconnection from Spirituality: A blocked third eye chakra can cause you to feel disconnected from your spiritual practice or beliefs.
8. Inability to Connect with Others: Difficulty connecting with others on an emotional level can also be a sign of blocked energy.
Physical & Emotional Symptoms Of Blockage
Imbalance of the Third Eye Chakra can manifest as physical and emotional symptoms such as indecisiveness, anxiety, and an inability to trust oneself.
Blockage can lead to recurring headaches, eye strain and may make it difficult to concentrate for prolonged periods of time. Overactivity can lead to heightened aggression, paranoia, and an overactive imagination.
When out of alignment or imbalanced, it can also cause physical symptoms to manifest. These can include problems with the eyes, headaches, sinus, insomnia, and neurological disorders.
The Link between the third eye chakra and the Pineal and Pituitary Glands
It is believed to be connected to the pineal and pituitary glands, which are both important glands in the endocrine system.
The pineal gland1Your pineal gland is a tiny endocrine gland in the middle of your brain that helps regulate your body’s circadian rhythm by secreting the hormone melatonin. located in the brain is often referred to as the “third eye,” and secretes melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep patterns and influences mood.
Melatonin production is directly impacted by Anja’s element of light. It is also thought to play a role in spiritual experiences and consciousness.
The pituitary gland2pituitary gland is a small, pea-sized endocrine gland located at the base of your brain below your hypothalamus, on the other hand, is known as the “master gland” because it controls the secretion of multiple hormones that regulate various bodily functions, including growth, metabolism, and reproduction.
It is believed that the activation and balance of this chakra helps the functioning of these glands, leading to improved overall well-being and spiritual growth.
Is there anything I should Avoid While Opening and Activating Ajna?
There are some common mistakes people make when trying to open their third eye. Below are the things you should avoid:
Forcing the process:
One of the biggest mistakes people make when trying to open their third eye chakra is forcing the process. It’s important to remember that spiritual growth and development takes time and patience. Trying to rush or force things can actually hinder progress.
Neglecting other chakras:
The third eye chakra is just one of seven main centers in the body. Neglecting the other chakras can lead to imbalances and blockages, which can affect your ability to open your third eye.
Lack of meditation:
Meditation is a powerful tool for opening the third eye chakra, but many people neglect this practice or don’t do it consistently enough. Try to incorporate daily meditation into your routine.
Not addressing emotional issues:
Emotional baggage can create blockages in the sixth chakra, so it’s important to address any unresolved emotional issues you may have before attempting to open this center.
Overthinking can also hinder progress when trying to open this chakra. Instead of overanalyzing every experience or sensation, try to stay present and focus on your breath during meditation.
Expecting immediate results:
Opening Ajna is a gradual process that requires consistent effort over time. Don’t expect immediate results, but instead trust in the journey and enjoy the process of spiritual growth and development.
Healing Exercises To Open The Third Eye Chakra
There are several practices that can help awaken and heal the Third Eye Chakra. Engaging in regular yoga, specifically focusing on postures that target the third eye area, can help to activate and balance this energy center.
This section provides detailed information about healing exercises that can be used to open the third eye chakra, including various techniques and practices that facilitate spiritual awakening and enhance intuitive abilities.
Third Eye Chakra Yoga Poses
Yoga poses can help stimulate the energy flow in the third eye chakra. Some poses that specifically target this chakra include
Child’s Pose (Balanasana)
The child’s pose is a soothing and relaxing yoga pose that helps to stretch and release tension in the back, neck, and shoulders. It is a beginner-friendly pose that provides a gentle stretch to the hips, thighs, and ankles. To perform the child’s pose correctly and safely, follow these simple steps:
- Start by kneeling on the floor. Sit back on your heels and keep your knees hip-width apart.
- Take a deep breath in and as you exhale, slowly lower your torso forward, allowing your forehead to rest on the mat or the floor in front of you. If your forehead does not comfortably reach the ground, you can place a soft pillow or folded blanket under your head for support.
- Extend your arms forward with your palms facing down. Allow your upper body to relax and sink down towards the floor. You should feel a gentle stretch in your lower back and hips.
- If it feels comfortable, you can bring your arms back alongside your body with your palms facing up, resting them beside your feet. This will deepen the stretch in your back and shoulders.
- Stay in this pose for about 1-3 minutes, or for as long as feels comfortable to you. Focus on your breath and allow your body to relax and release any tension.
- To release the child’s pose, slowly walk your hands back towards your body, lifting your torso up. Take a few deep breaths, and then gently come back to a seated position.
Ajna Chakra Downward Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
Downward Facing Dog, also known as Adho Mukha Svanasana, is a popular yoga pose that strengthens the arms, shoulders, and legs while stretching the calves, hamstrings, and back. Here’s a simple guide on how to perform Downward Facing Dog:
- Start on all fours with your hands and knees shoulder-width apart. Align your wrists under your shoulders and your knees under your hips.
- Tuck your toes under and slowly lift your hips towards the ceiling. Straighten your legs as much as you can without straining. Your body should form an inverted “V” shape.
- Press your hands firmly into the mat, spreading your fingers wide for stability. Engage your core muscles by drawing your navel towards your spine.
- Lengthen your spine, imagining that your tailbone is reaching towards the sky. Avoid rounding your back by actively pushing your chest towards your thighs.
- Keep a slight bend in your knees if needed, especially if your hamstrings feel tight. This will help you maintain the alignment of your spine.
- Gently drop your head between your arms, allowing your neck and shoulders to relax. Maintain a steady breath, focusing on inhaling and exhaling deeply.
- Hold the pose for about 5-10 breaths, gradually working up to longer durations as you become more comfortable.
- To release, bend your knees and slowly lower your hips back down to the starting position, coming back onto all fours.
Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
Camel Pose, also known as Ustrasana, is a rejuvenating yoga posture that opens up the chest, stretches the front of the body, and strengthens the back muscles. Here’s a simple guide on how to perform Camel Pose:
- Start by kneeling on the floor with your knees hip-width apart. Place your hands on your hips, fingers pointing down towards your toes.
- Engage your core muscles and slowly begin to arch your back. Keep your gaze forward and your chin parallel to the floor.
- As you continue to arch your back, reach your hands back one at a time to gently grasp your heels. If this is challenging, you can keep your hands on your lower back for support.
- Press your hips forward and allow your shoulder blades to relax down towards your back. Maintain a slight tuck in your tailbone to avoid overarching your lower back.
- Take deep breaths and find a comfortable position where you feel a stretch in the front of your body without any pain or discomfort.
- Hold the pose for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, gradually working up to longer durations as you become more flexible and comfortable in the posture.
- To release, gradually bring your hands back to your hips as you engage your core. Lift your torso back up slowly and return to an upright kneeling position.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana) For the third eye Chakra.
Bridge Pose, also known as Setu Bandha Sarvangasana, is a rejuvenating yoga posture that opens the chest, strengthens the legs and glutes, and stimulates the thyroid gland. Here’s a simple guide on how to perform Bridge Pose:
- Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and feet hip-width apart. Rest your arms alongside your body, with your palms facing down.
- Press your feet firmly into the mat, engaging your leg muscles, and gently lift your hips off the ground. As you lift your hips, imagine lengthening your tailbone towards your knees.
- Interlace your fingers underneath your body, pressing your forearms into the mat for support. If this is challenging, you can keep your arms alongside your body with your palms facing down.
- Roll your shoulders back and beneath you, allowing your chest to open. Keep your neck relaxed and avoid any strain.
- Breathe deeply and hold the pose for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, or as long as feels comfortable. Focus on maintaining a steady breath and relaxing any tension in your body.
- To release, gently unclasp your hands and slowly lower your hips back down to the mat, one vertebra at a time. Take a moment to rest in a neutral position, allowing your body to relax.
These poses stretch and strengthen the body, promoting balance and harmony within the chakra system.
Third Eye Chakra Crystals
When it comes to activating and balancing the third eye chakra, crystals can be a powerful tool. Crystals are known for their ability to amplify energy and can be used to help open up the subtle body centers. The most popular healing stones for Ajna are:
Amethyst is a popular crystal for activating the third eye. It is believed to enhance intuition and spiritual awareness, making it easier to access higher states of consciousness.
Lapis Lazuli For The Throat Chakra
Lapis Lazuli also referred to as the Stone of Truth, possesses vibrations that promote truthful communication and self-expression. It also aids in enhancing self-awareness, enabling you to uncover your inner truth.
This gemstone is highly beneficial for cultivating intuition and protecting against psychic attacks. Additionally, it is widely recognized for its ability to alleviate stress and anxiety. Placing Lapis Lazuli in your workspace can stimulate clarity and foster creativity.
Iolite offers the remarkable benefit of harmonizing both the masculine (Shiva) and feminine (Shakti) aspects of your personality. This enables you to authentically express your true self, unaffected by societal pressures.
Notably, Iolite possesses strong protective qualities and is a powerful influence. It enhances clairvoyance, facilitates visions, and promotes astral travel.
Additionally, it stimulates the imagination, fostering creative thoughts and ideas. For those seeking truth and harmony in their lives, Iolite is unquestionably an essential stone to have.
Sodalite is the choice if you are seeking to promote rational thinking, truth, and intuition. It possesses a tranquil energy that can alleviate fears and help manage panic attacks, making it an excellent crystal to incorporate into your meditation practice.
Fluorite is the embodiment of wisdom just like Ajna. It aids in improving mental concentration, enabling you to embrace novel concepts and foster logical reasoning.
Additionally, this stunning crystal with its multitude of colors promotes introspection and assists in making decisions – two essential qualities associated with the Third Eye.
Labradorite should be your first choice if the Ajna chakra is excessively active. Overactivity can display as excessive analytical thinking, anxiety, or you may become overwhelmed for little reason.
Labradorite is a beneficial stone that enhances awareness and boosts intuitive thought, making it an ideal crystal for restoring balance to this chakra.
Mystic Merlinite is an exquisite crystal that promotes the expansion of one’s spiritual journey and understanding. Possessing potent metaphysical qualities, it serves as a formidable ally in the holistic healing of the body, mind, and soul.
Lepidolite For Ajna
Lepidolite is an excellent aid for meditation, as it facilitates a strong connection to higher consciousness. This crystal also supports spiritual growth, astral travel, and the development of perception, making it an ideal stone for revitalizing the Third Eye.
Additionally, Lepidolite is highly effective in removing obstacles, enabling progress towards a brighter future.
Azurite has energy that is both powerful physically and spiritually, and is capable of releasing blockages in the chakra and aiding in the development of psychic abilities.
Tanzanite Chakra Stone
Tanzanite is an excellent choice for individuals seeking to improve their psychic skills and connect with higher realms of spirituality. With its ability to foster equilibrium and unity, this joyful crystal can empower you to embrace a positive outlook and be inspired as you progress on your spiritual journey.
By incorporating crystals into your affirmation routine or meditation practice, you can amplify the energy of the third eye and deepen your spiritual connection. Remember to cleanse your crystals regularly and set an intention for their use before incorporating them into your practice.
3rd Eye Mantra, Mudra and Chanting
Chanting Om can also be beneficial in opening and balancing the Third Eye. The mantra “OM” is hugely powerful for this chakra as its vibrations resonate with the energy of Ajna. Chanting this during yoga or meditation can help activate and balance the energy flow of the third eye.
The mudra associated with Ajna is Hakini. To perform Hakini you need to:
- Sit comfortably in a meditation posture with your spine erect.
- Relax your body and take a few deep breaths.
- Bring your hands up to the level of your forehead, palms facing each other.
- Touch the fingertips of each hand to their corresponding fingertips on the opposite hand, creating a steeple-like shape.
- Gently press the fingertips together, applying a light pressure.
- Close your eyes and focus your attention on the area between your eyebrows, which is the location of the third eye.
- Breathe deeply and slowly, allowing your awareness to rest in this area.
- Hold the Hakini for a few minutes or as long as you feel comfortable.
- When you are ready gently separate your hands and rest them on your thighs.
Essential Oils for The Third Eye
Essential oils can be helpful in supporting the energy and opening of the third eye. Here are some oils commonly used for to ensure your chakra is open and aligned:
- Frankincense: Known for its spiritual and meditative properties, frankincense oil helps to calm the mind and enhance spiritual awareness.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood oil is believed to help promote mental clarity, relaxation, and spiritual connection. It can also help balance emotions and deepen meditation.
- Clary Sage: This oil is known for its ability to clear mental fog and enhance intuition. It can help open the third eye and support insight and clarity.
- Jasmine: Jasmine is often associated with spiritual transformation and deepening one’s connection to universal knowledge. It can help enhance spiritual experiences and clarity.
- Lavender: Lavender is known for its calming and balancing effects. It can help relax the mind and promote a serene state, which is helpful during meditation and spiritual practices.
- Pine: The pine oil has a grounding and energizing effect. It can help clear the mind, increase focus, and enhance spiritual awareness.
- Rosemary: Rosemary is believed to stimulate mental clarity, focus, and concentration. It can support the development of psychic abilities and enhance spiritual connection.
When using essentials add them to a diffuser. You can also mix a few drops to a carrier oil for use in massage, or apply the mixture to the third eye area (forehead). Always remember to use high-quality essential oils and dilute them properly if using topically.
Guided Meditation To Clear A Blocked Ajna Chakra
All you really need to start is to have access to a quiet and comfortable place to sit and close your eyes. Then simply focus on your breath and allow your thoughts to come and go without judgment. As you continue to meditate, you may begin to notice a sense of clarity forming or your intuition building.
You may also experience vivid dreams or visions. These are all signs that your third eye is opening and your extra-sensory perception abilities are activating. Remember, meditation is a practice, and it takes time and patience to see results.
The Ajna Chakra Meditation Script
Meditation practices are an excellent method of chakra healing as they help to activate and align your third eye. Below is a guided meditation script and pre-recorded video you are able to use.
Begin by finding a comfortable position and take a few deep breaths to relax your body and mind.
Close your eyes and visualize a deep purple blue light in the center of your forehead, in the area between your eyebrows, where the third eye chakra is located.
As you inhale, imagine this light growing brighter and expanding, filling your entire head and surrounding your entire being with its calming and intuitive energy.
On each exhale, release any tension or resistance you may be holding in this area, allowing the energy to flow freely.
As you continue to breathe deeply, imagine a spinning vortex of indigo at the center of your forehead. Visualize this vortex growing brighter and stronger with each breath, opening and activating your third eye chakra.
With every inhalation, imagine your third eye chakra expanding and becoming more receptive. Feel a sense of clarity and insight awakening within you.
As the purple blue light continues to illuminate your third eye, invite any intuitive messages or guidance to come to you. Trust in your inner wisdom and allow the answers to arise effortlessly.
Take a few moments to embrace the energy of your open and activated third eye chakra. Feel the connection and harmony between your intuition and your physical senses.
When you are ready, gently bring your awareness back to your breath and begin to wiggle your fingers and toes. Slowly open your eyes, feeling refreshed, awakened, and connected to your intuition.
Take a moment to journal or reflect on any insights or guidance you received during this meditation.
Guided Meditation Audio Version
Remember that opening and activating the third eye chakra is a gradual process. Regular practice of meditation and other third eye chakra enhancing techniques can help strengthen your intuition and clarity over time.
Third Eye Chakra Affirmations
Affirmations are positive statements that can help reprogram our subconscious mind and align our energy with our intentions. Affirmations for Ajna can be used during or after your meditation. Our favorite Ajna affirmations are:
- I trust my intuition and allow it to guide me.
- I am connected to my higher self and receive clear insight and guidance.
- My third eye is open and active, allowing me to see beyond the physical realm.
- I trust the visions and messages I receive through my third eye.
- I am in tune with my inner wisdom and make decisions with clarity and confidence.
- I embrace my abilities and use them for my highest good.
- My mind is free of resistance and open to all possibilities..
- I am insightful, intuitive, and imaginative
- I am open to receiving divine inspiration and expanding my consciousness.
- I am grateful for the wisdom and intuition that flows from my open and aligned third eye.
Eating For The Third Eye
In addition diet and exercise play a crucial role in strengthening your third eye chakra. Eating purple foods especially those that are high in antioxidants, such as blueberries, acai berries, and eggplant, can help to clear your mind and improve your intuition.
Omega-3 rich foods like salmon, chia seeds, and walnuts can also help to boost your brain function and enhance your second sight.
Forms of physical activity that focus on balance and flexibility, can also help to activate and balance the chakra. Like yoga, exercise helps by releasing any blocked energy.
By incorporating a healthy diet and exercise routine into your spiritual practice, you can unlock the full potential of this chakra.
Third Eye Chakra Frequently Asked Questions
What is the third eye chakra and why is it important?
The third eye chakra, also known as the sixth chakra or Ajna chakra, is a spiritual energy center located in the middle of the forehead. It is responsible for intuition, higher consciousness, and connection to the spiritual realm. It is important because it allows us to tap into our inner wisdom, make decisions confidently, and experience spiritual awakening.
What are the signs of a balanced third eye chakra?
When the third eye chakra is balanced, individuals may experience a range of positive signs, including enhanced intuition, heightened sense of awareness, and deeper understanding of the world around them. They may have a clear vision of their life’s purpose, possess self-awareness, and have the ability to see beyond the surface and tap into deeper truths.
What are the symptoms of an imbalanced or blocked third eye chakra?
An imbalanced or blocked third eye chakra may manifest as lack of intuition, recurring headaches, insomnia, anxiety or depression, vision problems, lack of imagination or creativity, disconnection from spirituality, and difficulty connecting with others on an emotional level. It may also lead to physical symptoms such as eye problems, headaches, sinus issues, and neurological disorders.
How can I open and activate my third eye chakra?
There are several practices that can help open and activate the third eye chakra. Regular meditation, yoga poses that target the third eye area, visualization exercises, and working with crystals such as amethyst or lapis lazuli can be beneficial. It is important to avoid forcing the process, neglecting other chakras, and expecting immediate results. Consistency, patience, and addressing emotional issues are key in opening and activating the third eye chakra.
How does the third eye chakra relate to the pineal and pituitary glands?
The third eye chakra is believed to be connected to the pineal and pituitary glands in the endocrine system. The pineal gland, often referred to as the “third eye,” secretes melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep patterns and influences mood. The pituitary gland, known as the “master gland,” controls the secretion of multiple hormones that regulate various bodily functions. The activation and balance of the third eye chakra can help improve the functioning of these glands and promote overall well-being and spiritual growth.
- 1Your pineal gland is a tiny endocrine gland in the middle of your brain that helps regulate your body’s circadian rhythm by secreting the hormone melatonin.
- 2pituitary gland is a small, pea-sized endocrine gland located at the base of your brain below your hypothalamus