Our DIY Body Butter with Essential Oils is amazing for anyone wishing to use natural products while also protecting their skin and avoiding sensitive and dry skin.
Ensuring we implement a good skin care regime can be a difficult and sometimes tedious task. Well here at Healthy Natured we understand! In todays post we offer a DIY Body Butter With Essential Oils recipe, that offers excellence in skin care, balances moisture and is not going to break the bank.
If you are looking for skin care solutions and natural remedies that you can make from the comfort of your own home, are simple to prepare and benefit dry, sensitive skin? Would you believe us if we said there is a DIY solution? A Body Butter that is all natural and includes the benefits of essential oils.
To get this holistic and healing remedy, just read on. You will love the results and your sensitive, dry skin will thank you for it!
DIY Body Butter With Essential Oils – The Ingredients.
Obviously, before you get started you’ll need to get your hands on the right ingredients for this remarkable body butter.
To Make DIY Body Butter With Essential Oils you’ll need :
1. Carnauba Wax – DIY Body Butter With Essential Oils.
Carnauba palm (Copernicia cerifera) is native to Brazil. Its leaves excrete a waxy substance which protects them from the hot rays of the sun. When the leaves are cut and left to dry the waxy coating dries and flakes.
This is then removed by threshing and the waxy flakes collected. These raw wax flakes are then processed, where they are filtered and purified for use in cosmetics.
Carnauba wax has a consistency that is much harder than oil and butter. It also has a much higher melting point and does not become rancid. These are prized qualities in cosmetics for the creation of self-preserving products.
Carnauba wax also protects the skin and adds sheen to the hair.
2. Shea Butter.
Shea butter is fat that has been extracted from the nuts of the shea tree.
It remains solid at warm temperatures and is recognised by its ivory, off-white color. The Shea trees are native to West Africa, where most shea butter is sourced.
Shea butter has been used as a cosmetic ingredient for centuries. It has a high concentration of vitamins and fatty acids. This combined with its properties of being easy to spread makes it a great product for smoothing, soothing, and conditioning the skin
3. Cocoa Butter.
Cocoa Butter is extracted from cocoa beans after fermenting, roasting and pressing to separate the cocoa solids. It is recognisable by its distinctive cocoa aroma.
In its raw form, cocoa butter melts in the hand and can be applied directly to the skin. It absorbs well without leaving the skin greasy. It also improves skin elasticity and tone
Cocoa butter is high in fatty acids (oleic, palmitic, and stearic), which nourish and hydrate the skin. This makes it a valuable addition to any beauty products.
It is proven to be very effective for reducing skin blemishes, scars and pregnancy related stretch marks.
Cocoa butter also helps with skin irritations such as psoriasis, eczema and dermatitis due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Coconut Oil.
Coconut oil, when used in hair products, increases shine and protects it from damage. It is said that it penetrates, and protects, the scalp better than mineral oils.
Applying coconut oil extract to the skin helps enhance its protective barrier function and provides an anti-inflammatory effect.
5. Essential Oils.
There are literally hundreds of essential oils to choose from. Some aid and assist treatment of acne, others reduce fine lines and wrinkles, while some are utilised purely for their aromatherapy benefits such as creating a sense of calm, treat anxiety or improving mood and overall well being.
You can use any that you like. Simply choose the essential oil that contains the properties you would like the benefit from when using your DFY body butter on your skin.
It is important that the oils are mixed well into the body butter fats. These act in the same way as a carrier oil by helping to dilute them, making them safe for topical applications.
How To Make DIY Body Butter With Essential Oils.
An incredible body butter you can match to your mood. Using the wax, oils and butters you create a luxurious creamy body butter. Then with the addition of essential oils you transform this butter into a holistic spa therapy. Utilize the oils for their health properties, for their aromatherapy benefits or both. The choice is yours!
- 2 tsp Carnauba Wax (28g)
- 6 Tbsp Shea Butter (85g)
- 9 Tablespoons Cocoa Butter (130g)
- 9 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (130g)
- 14 Drops Essential Oil
- Measuring teaspoon (tsp)
- Measuring Tablespoon (Tbsp)
- An Old Double Boiler
- Heat Resistant Inner Bowl (Stainless Steel or Glass)
- And old electric whisk or hand mixer
- Soap or candle molds (50g capacity)
- Container or Jar with lid (350ml capacity)
- Make sure you have all of your materials and tools ready to go. You need to use a double boiler to melt the carnauba wax, cocoa butter, shea butter, and coconut oil. If you don't have a double boiler you can use a saucepan of water with another bowl sat on the top.
- Add all the ingredients, apart from essential oils to your double boiler. heat all materials (excluding essential oils) over heat until fully melted and combined. The reason you’re using a double boiler is because you want to make sure the materials are properly sterilized as well as fully melted. This ensures that you are producing the safest products for all skin types when creating your fantastic body butter.
- Now that you have all of your materials in melted form, it’s time to move them off the heat. Make sure you allow the mixture a cooling time of 10 minutes before placing in the fridge or freezer. This ensures the mix is not too hot and will not produce moisture in your mix. After 10 minutes you put the mix in the fridge or freezer for 20 minutes. Make sure to keep a close eye on it. Take the mixture out once the melted wax, oil, and butters have slightly solidified into a thick but still fluid consistency. Ultimately, you are not looking to freeze these ingredients, they need to be completely cool but not solid, so keep that at the back of your mind during this step.
- When you determine the mix is cool enough to progress, it’s time to remove your mixture of butters, oils, and waxes from the fridge or freezer. Take out an electric mixer, or hand whisk, like one you’d use to make mashed potatoes, and begin gently whisking the mixture. During this stage of the process, you are looking to create a creamy texture with the mixture. You want it to become more creamy, whipped, and fluffy. Ultimately you want it to look more like you would expect from body butter and definitely not like a frozen Popsicle.
- Once your mixture has become glossy, creamy and thick, it’s time to add your favorite essential oils. You can add one type to the mix, or more than one. Use whatever blend of you love or feel is best suited to the DIY body butter. Some popular essential blend options include lemon and lavender, coconut oil and peppermint, or almond and avocado. It can be yours, or others, favorite essential oil blend. Once you add them make sure to only very gently whisk. You want the essentials to be completely blended but you don't want to loose the thick and creamy texture.
- The mixture is now complete. You can pour it into an attractive or cute container. Your body butter is ready to use! You can also divide the mix into smaller soap molds. If using molds I recommend you compact as much as possible into each, place in the fridge for 20 minutes. Then compact again and top up. Finally cover each with a thin layer of melted beeswax. This will make them airtight. Once the beeswax has solidified place them in the freezer for at least 2 hours. They will now be wonderful body butter bars!
I recommend silicone molds if you intend to make body butter bars. So easy to use and simple to remove!
This DIY body butter is effective, organic, natural, and it’s hard to believe that it’s even homemade. Plus, it’s really going to be an amazing solution to help you with your dry skin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I may earn from any qualifying purchases made. This helps us to maintain Healthy Natured and keep adding new content. Thank you for your support!
Carnauba Wax - T1 Flakes Brazil Pastilles
White Naturals Raw African Shea Butter 2lb (1lb in each bag)
PRIME & PURE Raw Cocoa Butter 100% Fresh 2 LB
Kopari Organic Coconut Melt | Multi Purpose Skin Moisturizer, 100% Unrefined Coconut Oil
DoTerra - Family Essential Kit
Plant Therapy Top 14 Singles Set | Lavender, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Orange Sweet, Lemon & More
Edens Garden Breathe Essentials
Nicole Silicone Soap Mold Tall and Thin Loaf Mould with Wooden Box for DIY Natural Handmade Tool
Soap Molds 6-Cavity Circle Silicone Mold Moon Cake Shape for Chocolate Candy Making Mould