Moong Dal is likely one of the most well known and much loved ingredient in any Ayurvedic kitchen. Perhaps not as well known is the fact that it is a perfect ingredient for high protein weight loss recipes. Not only is it healthy it is also dense in protein and highly versatile.
Protein is essential for health and must be included in our diet. It is critical to build and retain muscle mass, and one of the nutrients most important for our health. It is required in our daily diet.
When we think about starting on a high protein diet many people immediately think of Atkins, or eggs, bacon and cheese. Others think it will be dull in taste and boring in variety.
While animal based protein ingredients are commonly thought of as being the best sources of protein, the reality is there are many wonderful plant based proteins that make excellent vegetarian alternatives.
In fact our meat loving friends may be amazed at how many delicious and healthy dishes can be prepared using vegetable based proteins.
Moong dal is perhaps one of the best known and highly prized of all these ingredients. This is due to its versatility as a lentil and its rich nutritional profile. It is one of the most well known and often used of all the high protein plant based options.
Moong Dal is also known as the yellow split pea, or split yellow bean. It is excellent as an ingredient in high protein weight loss recipes due to it being a storehouse of protein and fiber as well as it having anti-inflammatory properties.
In the book ‘Healing Foods’ from DK Publishing House, Moong Dal is reported as a rich source of fiber, protein and a heart friendly food that helps lower cholesterol, aids weight loss and contains an amount of potassium that helps maintain a healthy blood pressure level.
One of best properties of the moong dal, and why it is often found in weight loss recipes is its high density of plant based proteins. This density of protein and fibre means the moong dal lentil takes longer for us to digest.
The fibre in partucular keeps us fuller for longer and helps to suppress cravings and hunger. This is what ultimately leads to fat loss and its use as an ingredient in weight loss recipes.
Our 2 Recommended Moong Dal Weight Loss Recipes
There are many ways to cook moong dal. Because it is such a highly versatile ingredient it is the base in many delicious dishes across the Asian continent, in partuicluar India, Pakistan and neighboring countires.
Moong dal tadka is possibly the most popular but there are hundreds of tadka, pakoda, halwa, chilla and other dishes using Moong Dal.
However they are not the recipes we offer today. Our focus are the many healthy and delicious weight loss recipes that can be made with moong dal.
From the huge variety too choose from the following 2 are our favorite because they are easy to prepare, have easily sourced ingredients and are known to be effective as weight loss recipes.
Moong Dal Chatt – Number 1 Of Our Weight Loss Recipes
Moong dal chaat includes masala and lemon. It is easy to prepare, is light, and is incredibly healthy.
As one of our weight loss recipes the moong dal chaat is absolutely delicious and a quick and easy way to add fiber and protein to our diet.
Unlike many dal dishes this one has no greasy oil and doesn’t require hours of cooking. Delicious dal with lemon and a hint of spice!
How To Make Moong Dal Chaat For Weight Loss
- 1 cup of Moong Dal (soaked)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- 3 teaspoons Jeera powder (roasted)
- 1 teaspoon Asafetida
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 teaspoons fresh Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- Cook soaked dal in about 4 cups of boiling water.
- Cook for 5 minutes until a foam starts to appear on the top of the water.
- Carefully scoop of the foam and discard.
- Add salt and asafetida.
- Mix well, cover the pot and let the dal cook.
- Once cooked and tender allow the moong dal to cool.
- Add jeera powder, lemon juice, chaat masala and chilli powder to the moong dal.
- Mix well and serve.
Your high protein dal chaat is ready to eat! Enjoy!
The Dal Moonglet – Number 2 of Our Weight Loss Recipes:
A great source of fiber and proteins, Moong Dal is one of the healthiest ways to load up on these essential nutrients in our diet. This is one of our high protein weight loss recipes that ensures delicious food is healthy and guilt free!
200 grams moong dal
Water (to soak and grind)
salt to taste
4 Green chili
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp olive oil (per pancake)
1 large onion finely diced
1 Tomato – seeds removed
1 Capsicum – finely chopped
2 Tbsp Freshly chopped coriander
How to Make Moonglet
- Soak dal in water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes drain off any excess water.
- In a pestle and mortar, or blender, grind the dal with 150 ml fresh water, salt and 1 green chili.
- Grind until you have a very smooth paste.
- Heat ½ tsp of oil in a frying pan.
- Add the baking soda to the batter mix and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the hot pan and spread it evenly. Making sure the batter is not too thin.
- Once bubbles start to appear on the top, add the chopped onions, tomatoes, green chili, capsicum and fresh coriander.
- Gently press the toppings onto the base.
- Cook for another 2 minutes, or until firm enough to flip.
- Carefully flip and cook the other side over a medium flame for about 4 minutes.
- Your delicious an healthy moonglet is ready!
Note: You can add any fresh vegetable of your choice as the toppings.
I hope you try and enjoy these weight loss recipes. Do you know of any others?