There are many herbal remedies and natural cures for illnesses. Using these treatments can help shorten the duration of common illness and can get you feeling better faster.
- Natural Cures For Illnesses.
- What Is Homeopathy?
- Which Homeopathic Treatment Should I Use For Flu And Fever?
As well as natural herbal remedies you can also bolster your recovery with a specific homeopathic treatment for flu and fever.
This post discusses how to analyse your symptoms and how you can use this analysis to discover which homeopathic remedy to use.
Natural Cures For Illnesses.
There are a great number of natural options that can shorten the duration of illness and help to lessen the symptoms. In this first section we offer some great alternatives to the usual pharmaceuticals. These treatments are easy to use and are extremely effective!
This small bulb is nature’s powerhouse. It is a natural antibiotic having both anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. Garlic can tackle almost any illness.
Garlic Boost To Fight Flu
Servings: 1 – Prep Time: 10 mins
2 Garlic Cloves – Finely Minced
150 ml Warm Water
1. Finely mince 2 cloves of garlic
2. Add the garlic to a small glass
3. Add 150 ml of lukewarm water.
4. It is important that the water is not cold/chilled or too hot (recently boiled) as this can impact negatively on the healing properties.
5. Let sit for 3-5 minutes
6. Drink this mix quickly.
Note: Pregnant women and children under age 12 should not take more than 1 clove of garlic medicinally per day.
2. Hot Liquids.
Forget the old saying of “feed a fever, starve a cold”.
Hot liquids are fantastic and necessary when feeling poorly.
Load up on the hot herbal teas and hot lemon water at first sign of illness. The heat helps boost your immune system and a variety of herbs can help with infection.
Choose your favorite herbal tea and add to this 2-3 fresh slices of lemon and allow to infuse through the drink.
This wonderful spice is excellent for stabilizing blood sugar and is an effective antiviral and antibiotic.
When feeling ill, mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon with 1 teaspoon of honey and stir into hot water or any regular/herbal tea.
This makes a spicy effective and tasty drink that helps relieve coughs, congestion and lowers fever.
4. Facial Steam Bath.
This remedy can be made with most of the readily found kitchen herbs. If you have access to fresh use them, rather than the dried versions. The benefit of fresh herbs are the additional oils which are released.
- Bring 1-2 cups of water to the boil in a large saucepan or kettle.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 2 teaspoons (dried) or 2 tablespoons (freshly chopped) thyme, rosemary and oregano.
- Cover for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and put face directly the pot with a towel covering your head.
- Be mindful of the heat – do not do this while water and steam is freshly boiled as steam burns! (hence 5 minute wait time).
- Stay under the towel and breathe in the steam as long as you can.
- Aim to stay within the steam bath for 15-20 minutes.
Breathing in this steam vapor will loosen any congestion and kill any viruses and bacteria in the lungs, bronchioles and sinuses.
You may also add 1/2 cup cider or white vinegar. This adds additional congestion relief.
5. Hydrate And Rest.
If you develop a fever this is a clear sign of your body fighting illness.
The best support you can give your body is to stay well hydrated! Drink plenty of water or herbal tea and take as much rest as possible.
The body, when healing, will need extra hours of rest to recuperate. Hydration speeds healing!
It is important you increase your water intake during the day. This aides our system to flush toxins from the body.
What Is Homeopathy?
The name homeopathy was created by Samuel Hahnemann, who developed the therapy, and is derived from Greek words which mean ‘similar suffering’.
This is due to the homeopathic belief of “like cures like”
Homeopathy is based upon two principles of healing. These principles occur as the basis of many medicinal practices in both eastern and western philosophies.
The first principle is “like cures like”. This healing belief is based on the assumption that our body knows what it is doing. Therefore the symptoms we experience during illness are actually our due to our body taking action and overcoming illness.
These are natural cures for healing and a very common healing response that is automatic in all living organisms. It is known as the “vital response”.
In homeopathy medicines are used that present as a similar stimulus to our natural vital response. By mimicking our body’s response to illness we actually provide our body the information it needs to complete its healing work.
It is believed that the initial action of the vital response (symptoms of illness) plus the homeopathic treatment which increases the strength of our symptoms signifies the internal healing taking place.
The second principle is that we should only ever use ‘a minimum dose’. This is based on the understanding that the stimulus of the treatment given should be just enough to initiate and kick start the healing process.
Once stimulated we then leave the body to carry on, and know that it will continue with its own internal healing.
Homeopathic medicines when given as a minimum dose will stimulate our body’s vital response without any of the side effects that are often associated with pharmaceuticals.
Which Homeopathic Treatment Should I Use For Flu And Fever?
1. Arsenicum Album.
Use for flu and fever that includes:
- Extreme Chills;
- Thirst requiring frequent sips of warm drink;
- Streaming eyes;
- Runny nose;
- Acrid nasal discharge;
- Feelings of irritability and anxiousness.
Use Baptisia for fever and flu that includes:
- Gastric Flu with vomiting;
- Flu that comes on suddenly;
- Profuse perspiration;
- High fever;
- Extreme thirst;
- You feel and look dazed and/or sluggish.
3. Bryonia – Natural Cures For Illnesses
Choose Bryonia for symptoms including:
- Flu comes on slowly.
- Aching pains in joints.
- Joint pain worsens with movement.
- Painful dry cough that causes headache.
- Extreme thirst at infrequent intervals.
- You feel intensely irritable and want to be alone.
4. Eupatorium Perfoliatum.
Use Eupatorium Perfoliatum for symptoms including:
- Flu with severe pain.
- Muscles ache and feel sore
- Muscles feel bruised.
- Extreme headache with sore and aching eyeballs.
- Runny nose
- Frequent sneezing.
- Chest feels sore and raw.
- Thirst for cold fluids.
5. Ferrum Phosphoricum.
Use Ferrum Phosphoricum for:
- A fever develops but then fades
- Flu like symptoms change, fever and sweats then cold and achy
- Flu symptoms are not quick developing.
- Symptoms change often
Use for flu and fever symptoms that include:
- Flu that comes on slowly.
- Muscles feel weak and achy.
- Feelings of heaviness everywhere.
- Dull thudding headache.
- Sore limbs,
- Sore eyelids.
- No thirst at all.
- Chills and shivers running up and down the spine.
- Feel apathetic, dull, and drowsy.
7. Mercurius Solubilis.
Use for symptoms that include:
- Fever with offensive perspiration.
- Breath smells bad.
- Over production of saliva.
- Extreme thirst.
8. Nux Vomica.
For flu and fever that includes symptoms such as:
- Gastric flu with vomiting and diarrhea.
- Your limbs and back ache.
- Nose runs during the day
- Nose is blocked or stuffed up at night.
- Fever with chills and shivering.
- Feel extremely impatient and irritable.
Use Pyrogenium for flu and fever which includes:
- Serious flu
- Severe pain in the back and the limbs.
- A terrible, bursting headache.
- Feels like you have been beaten and bruised all over.
- Very restless.
- Chills in the back and the limbs with a thumping heart.
Aconitum is useful primarily during the first 24 hours after the onset of a cold.
Acontium is used for when a cold is developed after being exposed to dry cold weather.
The symptoms include:
- a dry, hoarse, croupy cough, especially worse at night and after midnight.
- a dry mouth,
- shortness of breath and little spit.
- The cough worsens when exposed to the cold, drinking cold water, tobacco smoke, lying on your side.
11. Allium Cepa.
Allium Cepa is used if colds include:
- nasal discharge;
- burning sensation in nose which is made worse in a warm room;
- nasal passages feel better when in the cool;
- nasal discharge irritates the nostrils, causing pain when wiping your nose;
- profuse bland (non-burning) tearing from the eyes;
- reddened eyes;
- raw and tingling sensations in nose;
- violent sneezing;
- congestive headache at the front.
12. Hepar Sulphur.
Hepar Sulphur is the remedy to use for symptoms including:
- sneezing from exposure to cold air;
- thick and yellow nasal discharge;
- nostrils and the bones of the nose are very sore;
- nasal passages are sensitive to cold air;
- sensitive to touch;
- generally irritable.
For further information about Natural Cures For Illnesses and homeopathic remedies for colds and flu I recommend this British Homeopathic Association Article.
Wow, I’ve never heard of removing “white foods” from your diet when you’re sick. That’s something I will have to try next time I get sick (fingers crossed it won’t be soon). A bath with essential oils is another suggestion for natural remedy – I use thyme, tea tree, eucalyptus and lemon.
Thanks for your visit and also for your comments. I love the idea of the essential oil bath and the combination of oils suggested is awesome. Thank you so much. If you have any other tips and ideas for readers please do let me know and I’ll be sure to include them, with reference obviously to you and your site.
To your best health