Want to know the benefits of aromatherapy? In this article we look at how to use essential oils through diffusion and how this helps our health and wellness. We look at types of essential oils, how they can be used for health and the types of aromatherapy diffusion available.
- How To Use Essential Oils For Diffusion Aromatherapy.
- Oils and Carriers – How To Use Essential Oils
How To Use Essential Oils For Diffusion Aromatherapy.
There are many ways to use aromatherapy essential oils for health and well-being. However most methods can be categorized into three main modes of application:
- Aerial diffusion aromatherapy: for environmental fragrancing or aerial disinfection *
- Direct inhalation: for respiratory disinfection, decongestant, expectoration as well as psychological effects*
- Topical applications: for general massage, baths, compresses, therapeutic skin care*
Aerial Diffusion Of Essential Oils.
In this post we look at the first mode – Aerial Diffusion.
Aerial Diffusion includes several methods, including:
- Heat diffusers,
- Nebulizer diffusers,
- Ultrasonic diffusers,
- Evaporative oil diffusers
1. Heat Diffusion
The two main types of heat diffusion of essential oils are electric heat plates or candle diffusers.
Electric heat plates use gentle heat of a base plate to very gently heat the oil and disperse the aroma into the environment.
The candle diffuser, possibly the most well known of all methods, utilizes a tea light candle (or other candle types) to gently heat the essential oil which promotes diffusion into a room.
A candle diffuser usually has a bottom space which holds the candle and a bowl on the top which holds water and a few drops of essential oil.
Candle diffusers are usually the cheapest type of diffuser to buy, and to operate as they do not need electricity or batteries.
The main issue with candle diffusers is the safety issue. You basically have a small fire inside your house, and so you must remain vigilant of the burner and the flame.
Candle Diffuser Examples:
Electric Plate Diffuser Examples:
2. Nebulizer Diffusion.
A Nebulizer Diffuser (also known as an atomizer) breaks the essential oils into separate molecules and then disperses these smaller molecules into the environment.
Using a nebulizer is regarded as one of the best for therapeutic reasons as these smaller molecules can be more readily absorbed nasally and orally then via the lungs.
A nebulizer has two main components: a base that contains a motor and pump and a very clear glass compartment that holds and then nebulizes the essential oils.
It is the size of the pump, not the glass container, that determines the speed that the essential oil is nebulized and the coverage of environment.
It is said that nebulizers can supply greater therapeutic benefit than the use of other aromatherapy diffusers because they break the oils down into smaller molecules.
Nebulizers are better used with thinner oils as some of the thicker oils, like sandalwood, require regular cleaning otherwise build up can clog and block the nebulizer.
Nebulizer Diffuser Examples:
Ultrasonic diffusers use ultrasonic waves to diffuse essential oils in water into the room.
There are many types of ultrasonic aromatherapy diffusers available and they tend to be the most affordable.
Another benefit is that while diffusing essential oils into our environment they also release the water and so humidify the room.
Ultrasonic Differs Examples:
Oils and Carriers – How To Use Essential Oils
Common Terms Within Aromatherapy That We Need To Know:
These are the most commonly used oils associated with Aromatherapy. Essential Oils are the fragrant oils extracted from plants through either steam distillation or expression.
These oils can be used in all our diffusion methods, as well as reed diffusers, steam diffusion and warm baths/burners.
The Absolutes are also fragrant oils but are extracted from the flowers or some delicate plant tissues. The absolutes are extracted using solvent or super-critical fluid extraction.
Herbal distillates or hydrosols:
These are the watery by-products which remain after the essential oils are removed through the distillation process (e.g., rosewater).
A lot of herbal distillates are used in culinary settings and also have medicinal and skin care uses.
Vaporizer (Volatized) Raw Herbs:
Typically higher oil content plant based materials dried, crushed, and heated to extract and inhale the aromatic oil vapors in a direct inhalation modality.
How Does Diffusion Help Health?
Aromatherapy is often used for holistic and complementary reasons alongside allopathic medical regimes.
Common uses for diffusion Aromatherapy include:
- Relief of pain
- Stress, anxiety and depressive illness
- Enhancement of energy
- Short-term memory gain,
- Hair loss prevention,
- Reduction of skin irritation and eczema-induced itching.
- Treatment of fungal infection
- Anti inflammatory and anti bacterial applications
The reason we use an Aromatherapy diffuser is to enable the essential oils to enter the environment in a controlled way and over a set period of time. The oils become a sensory experience when inhaled and when they enter our body.
Diffusion of essential oils benefits us, and offers remedy against illness, in two main ways.
The first being the influence of the aroma on the brain, particularly the limbic system through the olfactory system.
The other is the direct pharmacological effects of the essential oils.
Recommended Essential Oil Aromatherapy Sets.
Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser 550ml 12 Hours Wood Grain Aroma Diffuser with Timer Cool Mist Humidifier for Large Room, Home, Baby Bedroom, Waterless Auto Shut-Off, 7 Colors Lights Changing
- 550ML CAPACITY, RUN OVER 10 HOURS, MORE MIST OUTPUT: Our essential oil diffuser feature 550ml capacity, even in strong mist mode still work for 9-10 hours, and weak mist runs for 12-14 hours, works well disseminating the aroma steam to your room. You can use this as an aroma diffuser and personal humidifier, ideal for apartments, office, studio, child’s room. This is real, rather than other brands claims 300ml capacity run for 10 hours.(VAPOR AMOUNT: 55ml/h VS 30ml/h)
- TIMER SETTING AND MIST CONTROL，WATERLESS AUTO-OFF: You can change the lights to whatever you feel at the moment, constant color or rotation of 7 colors, each light has bright and dim modes. Timer set in 1H/3H/6H/continuous on. When time is up or there is no water, the cool mist humidifier will turn off automatically, no risk of burns.
- REDUCE ALLERGIES SYMPTOMS IN WINTER DRY CLIMATE: This aromatherapy diffuser could provide a large amount of fresh air for those who suffer from Dry Cough, Itchy Nose or Eyes, Allergies Sinus Headaches, and Sleeping Problems, Dry Skin. Helps to improve breathing and sleeping, relieve allergy, reduce static electricity shocks in the dry climate. Add to cart now, great idea for yourself, parents, friends, business partners.
- ADVANCED ULTRASONIC DIFFUSING TECHNOLOGY, SUPER QUIET: Ultrasonic diffusers generate the vapor without any heat, which best preserves the integrity of the essential oil. Diffusers are better than any scented candle, you can even combine two or more essential oils to create a unique blend. The tiny bit of white noise you barely notice it, which may help you relax and sleep better but not obnoxious at all.
- A GREAT GIFT IDEA: In this winter, give a BZseed aroma diffuser to your family or friends to show your love for them. Fine design, and good quality, it blends naturally with the most home decor. Everyone will fall in love with this gift
InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser, Upgraded Diffusers for Essential Oils Aromatherapy Diffuser Cool Mist Humidifier with 7 Colors Lights 2 Mist Mode Waterless Auto Off for Home Office Room, Basic White
- Compact Size for Space-saving: Without occupying much space, you can easily place this palm sized diffuser on your desk, countertop, or pack in carry-on while on the go.
- 2 Misting Modes: You can set it to intermittent mist (6-8 hrs working time) that diffuser mists and pauses every 30s, it goes for almost the whole night; Or set it to continuous mist (3-4 hrs working time) that keep misting until water runs out, it creates an instant fragrance in your room.
- PP Material and Cool Mist: Using PP material, this diffuser disperses a comfortable stream of room-temperature mist, which provides ideal coverage for small or medium sized room.
- Romantic Mood Light: InnoGear essential oil diffuser has 8 soothing colors, light can switch from dim to bright. Great for creating atmosphere, meditation, or using as a night light.
- Waterless Auto-off: You can enjoy a restful sleep and keep this diffuser on at night without worries. The diffuser will automatically shut off once the water runs out.
The Essential Oil Diffuser Recipes Book: Over 200 Diffuser Recipes for Health, Mood, and Home (Essential Oils Reference Book 1)
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||85|
URPOWER 700ml Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier Large Capacity Modern Ultrasonic Aroma Diffusers Running 20+ Hours 7 Color Changing for Home Baby Bedroom Office Study Yoga Spa
- Fantastic Design: This essential oil diffuser has a unique square design, and also with modern feeling. With dark wood grain base, it fits your home and office perfectly.
- 7 LED Changing Lights: It is not only a diffuser but also a night light.There are 7 colors can be chosen. You can choose gradually changing mode or one color mode with bright or dim adjustment.
- Large Capacity: With 700ml capacity, it can run more than 20 hours in low mist mode, more than 10 hours in high mist mode. It will automatically shut down after the water runs out, so you don’t need to worry about the safety.
- Time Setting: There are high mist mode and low mist mode you can choose. It can also be timed for your needs,1 hour,3 hours,6 hours and continuous using.
- Enhance Your Life Quality: It can increase the humidity in the air, creating a healthy environment. 700ml Square essential oil diffuser is best gift idea for birthday or festival.
AromaTech AromaPro Essential Oil Diffuser for Aromatherapy Oils, Nebulizing Diffusion System, Heat-Free System for Home or Commercial Use - Black
- : The AromaPro scent machine stands freely or can conveniently be mounted to a wall. This diffuser also has the option to connect to your home HVAC system, allowing you to scent your entire home with ease.
- : This patented nebulizing technology, combined with an essential and aroma oil blend, produces nanoparticles that suspend in the air for several hours providing the benefits of therapeutic use essential oils or simply enhancing the ambience in you home.
- : Covers 500 - 4,000 sq.ft, Adjustable fragrance intensity.
- : Requires 500ml bottle to fill (oil not included).
- : Silent but very powerful, this discrete scenting device provides the ideal solution for scenting your entire home or business and diffusing essential oils for their maximum therapeutic or ambient benefits.
HealthSmart Essential Oil Diffuser, Cool Mist Humidifier and Aromatherapy Diffuser with 500ML Tank Ideal for Large Rooms, Adjustable Timer, Mist Mode and 7 LED Light Colors, White
- OIL DIFFUSER will automatically and safety shut off once the water runs out so the unit doesn't overheat. The 500mL tank is large enough to use in any size room and the tank is easy to clean and maintain so the unit lasts for years
- DIFFUSER FOR ESSENTIAL OILS features a smart touch panel to easily control the lighting, high or low mist mode and a 1hr/3hr/6hr timer that will keep misting until the water runs out.
- COLORFUL MOOD LIGHT has the ability to cycle through 7 different colors or stay on one. It is great for creating a calm uplifting atmosphere during meditation or to use as a night light. It can be used as a humidifier or as a room air freshener
- AROMATHERAPY DIFFUSER compact design is sleek and modern. The beautiful and modern wood grain base complements any room. It is the perfect apartment essential, dorm essential or new home essential to bring peace and tranquility anywhere
- DIFFUSER PRODUCT SPECS: Scent diffuser comes with an AC adapter (located inside the tank), 6ft power cord and user manual. Essential Oils sold separately